Although sometimes considered a suburb of Atlanta, Cartersville is a bustling city in its own right. It is located in a beautiful part of northwest Georgia, drawing lots of motorcycle riders to enjoy the stunning mountain views and roadways. However, when other motorists fail to watch for bikers, the results can be tragic.
At Joel Thrift Law, we work with victims of bike crashes to help them recover financial relief when someone else is at fault for their injuries. Our Cartersville motorcycle accident lawyers will investigate the wreck and identify all liable parties. We help you negotiate with insurance companies and secure the settlement you deserve. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with our personal injury lawyers and learn more today.
Motorcycles Are Thrilling but Dangerous
With their smaller size and greater speed, motorcycles can be exhilarating to ride. These same factors make them more difficult for other drivers to see, leading to severe crashes. In Georgia, motorcycles are just 2% of all registered vehicles but account for 21% of all driver fatalities, according to the Georgia Department of Driver Services.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Accidents in Cartersville involving motorcycles can happen due to any of the following causes:
- Aggressive driving or road rage
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
- Ignoring traffic laws or signs
- Riding too closely behind motorcycles
- Disregarding motorcyclists’ right to the road
- Road hazards such as water, ice, grease, oil, or hazardous debris
- Uneven road conditions due to construction work
- Faulty bike repair
- Defective motorcycle parts
There may be multiple parties at fault for your crash. It is essential that you contact our motorcycle accident lawyers in Cartersville quickly so we can assess your case. We understand the law and can advise you on the best way to proceed with your claim.
Why Choose Joel Thrift Law for Your Motorcycle Accident Case
While you need expert medical care for your injuries, you also need an accomplished legal professional to manage the compensation requirements you have. Your bills should be covered by those responsible for your injuries. Our attorneys will work to ensure every aspect of your case goes smoothly so you can focus on recovering and healing.
Our team of Cartersville motorcycle accident attorneys provides essential services, including:
- Engaging an independent accident reconstruction expert to produce a recreation of the crash, taking into account physics and impact forces
- Collecting all photos and videos to show how you were hurt
- Interviewing witnesses to secure their recollections of the crash
- Gathering all relevant evidence for your claim of negligence and damages
- Calculating a full estimate of your current and projected damages
- Combing through social media sites for additional photos and video
- Examining the social media of the negligent parties to locate any admission of guilt or involvement
- Negotiating with insurance representatives to obtain a full and fair settlement for you
- Filing all paperwork in a timely manner and accurately
- Pushing back against claims that you are to blame for the accident
- Litigating aggressively in court to protect your rights and interests
Cartersville Motorcycle Accidents Lead to Serious Injuries
Even with full safety gear and a careful rider, a motorcycle accident often results in severe or catastrophic injuries. It also frequently causes death to the rider and passenger. The human body simply cannot stand up to the extreme forces at work when a much larger vehicle impacts the bike.
Motorcycle riders are often thrown off their cycle and onto guardrails, other vehicles, or the road. This may cause immediate death or life-threatening injury that requires immediate medical attention.
Riders suffer injuries such as:
- Blood clots
- Damage to major blood vessels
- Damage to the spine, neck, and back
- Facial damage to the eyes, nose, ears, and jaw
- Loss of skin
- Lung collapse
- Lung punctures
- Puncture wounds to the body and internal organs
- Road rash
- Traumatic brain injuries
While some riders can walk away from their accidents, most will face extensive recovery with a mountain of medical bills. Full recovery may not be achievable, and riders could need care for the remainder of their lives. All this adds up to a substantial amount of compensation that is due when another person’s negligence caused the crash.
At Joel Thrift Law, we focus on getting an accurate and fair estimate of your injuries and needs to help you return to your life. These cases can be worth thousands to millions of dollars, depending on the unique circumstances. We will work on getting you the financial relief you deserve while you concentrate on healing.
Understanding Insurance in Cartersville Motorcycle Accidents
Georgia is an at-fault state, meaning that all drivers must carry insurance for liability and property damage. This ensures they can pay for any injuries and damage they cause when they are at fault for an accident. This works in your favor if you are hurt because of another driver, but insurance can be complicated.
When multiple parties are to blame, your motorcycle accident attorneys in Cartersville can determine who bears what percentage of fault and pursue them for compensation. The important thing is to demonstrate proof of negligence, which means you must show the following conditions:
- The other parties owed you a duty of care: Other motorists, construction companies, or anyone else involved in the crash have a duty to follow all traffic laws.
- Any or all of the defendants breached their duty of care: Someone failed to uphold their duty, either through action or inaction, according to what a reasonable person would have done in the same situation.
- You have injuries and property damage as a direct result of their failure in their duty: Your attorney must show a direct link between the defendant’s actions and your damages.
- You have expenses as a result of your injuries and damage: You can present medical bills and other evidence to show how you have been financially impacted by the defendant’s negligence.
With Georgia’s comparative fault statutes, the opposing attorneys will try very hard to show that you shared fault for the crash. Motorcycle bias is very real and often used to dismiss or deny an insurance claim. Working with our skilled Cartersville motorcycle accident attorneys, you can rest assured we will work to minimize any fault you might share in the situation.
How Evidence Plays a Part in Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
Proving negligence in any kind of accident case requires robust and convincing evidence. You can gather these from a number of sources, including right after the crash, if you are physically able. Photos of the wreck, your injuries, and any road conditions can be invaluable. You should also exchange contact and insurance information with anyone involved.
Beyond this, it helps to hire a skilled motorcycle accident lawyer who can put their team of investigative professionals to work. They will interview witnesses, bring in medical and other experts for their testimony, and save you the headache of pulling together all the relevant documentation.
Some examples of evidence we use in motorcycle accident cases include:
- Accident reconstruction reports and presentationsWitness statements
- Estimates for repairs or replacement of your motorcycle
- Expert testimony on your injuries and prognosis
- Images of your injuries in photos, scans, X-rays, CT scans, and other media
- Medical reports and records
- Photographs of the damage, road conditions, weather, debris, and other factors
- Police accident reports
- Video and photos from social media showing details of the crash
- Video from traffic, surveillance, security, and dashboard cameras
Our team will create a timeline of the crash, including how each liable party played a part in causing your injuries. We use the receipts and bills to support your claim of damages while proving negligence. This allows us to secure the maximum compensation needed for your claim.
When our evidence is substantial enough, we can often compel the insurance company or defendants to settle out of court for an acceptable sum. Showing them that we have a strong case and that we intend to pursue it vigorously allows us to close your case sooner with the best possible outcome.
Filing a Cartersville Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit
Insurance claims sometimes provide enough payment for your needs, but they only cover medical losses and property damage. The general, or non-economic, damages often total much more. In addition, an insurer may be unwilling to pay the full amount you are due when your treatment will require years of care. In these situations, it is necessary to file a lawsuit.
Going to court takes more time and effort, but it also gives you the strongest chance to fully recover your losses. Convincing a judge and jury that the defendants are liable lets Joel Thrift sway them to your side so your full demands are awarded. In addition, the judge may choose to award harsh punitive damages, which makes an example of the wrongdoer.
Statute of Limitations – You Must Act Quickly in Georgia
While you may have decided to hire an attorney to manage your motorcycle accident claim, you should not delay in doing so. Building a strong case takes time and skill, and waiting too long means your lawyer has less time to put their abilities to work for you.
The statute of limitations in Georgia is only two years from the date of the crash. If you wait until the window has almost expired, you risk losing the right to seek relief through the courts.
Potential Compensation You Can Claim in Motorcycle Accident Cases
Whether through insurance or a personal injury lawsuit, your attorney can help you create an estimate of your damage demands. You will include special damages, which address your economic losses, and general damages, which are about your pain and suffering. In cases where the at-fault party was especially negligent or international, you may also be awarded punitive damages.
Some examples of the kinds of damages we see in motorcycle accident claims include:
- Special (economic):
- Home renovations to accommodate a permanent disability
- ICU, ER, and surgical expenses
- In-home nursing care
- Loss of inheritance for your heirs
- Lost wages while you cannot work
- Nursing or rehabilitation facility expenses
- Physical therapy costs
- Repairs or replacement costs for your motorcycle
- Travel expenses for doctor visits
- General (non-economic):
- Amputation or loss of limb
- Anxiety, depression, or PTSD
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
Severe injuries, such as losing a limb or suffering a traumatic brain injury, can leave you without the ability to care for yourself. You may need care for the rest of your life, and you deserve a settlement that reflects those costs.
The Tragedy of Wrongful Death in a Motorcycle Accident
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reports that 13% of all motor vehicle fatalities involve motorcycle riders. If a loved one is killed instantly or dies as a result of their injuries from a crash, the surviving family has the right to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit against those responsible. Families should not suffer this loss without compensation.
These legal actions can bring closure to the loss of a loved one, even though they cannot replace the person’s presence. If the breadwinner passes away, families can be left financially devastated. Those at fault must be made to replace the value of the emotional, physical, and financial support the deceased provided.
For example, common damages we help clients seek in a wrongful death claim include:
- Burial expenses
- Cemetery fees
- Cremation expenses
- Emotional distress
- Funeral costs
- Loss of companionship, care, and guidance for family members
- Loss of the deceased’s financial support
- Loss of inheritance for heirs
- Transportation of the deceased
Hire Joel Thrift for Your Cartersville Motorcycle Claim Today
At Joel Thrift Law, we focus on providing compassionate and tireless legal representation for our clients. When you or a loved one is facing severe injuries following a bike crash, you need the experience of our Cartersville motorcycle accident lawyers to secure the compensation you deserve.
Get started working on your claim so you can put your concerns at rest. Use our convenient online form to schedule your free consultation today.